Re: Invalid signatures in Evo2

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 17:47 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Paul Howarth um 10:02:
>
> > > Back again with (probably) another configuration nit. Since upgrading
> > > from FC1 w/Evolution 1.4.2 to FC3 w/Evolution 2.0.2, I've noticed that
> > > all the digital signatures on this list are now flagged as invalid. I
>
> > Evo will report the signature as invalid if you don't have the signer's
> > public key in your keyring.
> >
> > Try clicking on the icon at the left end of the "signature" bar where
> > it's saying the signature is invalid. A "Security Information" box will
> > appear, and one of the lines will read "gpg: Signature made ...
> > using ... key ID xyz" You need to add that key to your keyring to be
> > able to check the signature.
> >
> > $ gpg --recv-key xyz
> >
> > Next time you see a signature from that poster, it should say "Valid
> > signature" for their mail, though it will probably also say "cannot
> > verify sender". That's another discussion though ;-)
> >
> > Paul.
>
> You can let that job done automagically by editing the ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
> file and activating following line
>
> keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve
>
> If you then click on the signature icon within a mail using Evolution
> gpg will start fetching the public key if the key is not already hold in
> the public keyring. This does not mean, that you automatically trust the
> foreign key! Paul said so with his hint for the "cannot verify sender"
> message.
>
> Setting a desired keyserver address can be useful too.

Paul and Alexander,

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Now that I look in my home
directory, I find that there is no ~/.gnupg directory, and of course no
gnupg.conf file to modify or lock.

When I click on that "Invalid signature" icon the Security Information
popup box says:

Digital Signature
     The signature of this message cannot be verified, it
     may have been altered in transit.
     gpg: failed to create temporary file `/home/doc/.gnupg/ \
          .#lk0xf7005ac8.lioness.7077': No such file or directory
     gpg: can't allocate lock for `/home/doc/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
     gpg: keyblock resource `/home/doc/.gnupg/pubring.gpg': general \
          error
     gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)
     gpg: Signature made Thu 18 Nov 2004 10:47:55 AM CST using DSA \
          key ID B366A773
Encryption
     This message is not encrypted. Its content may be
     viewed in transit across the Internet.

That's heavy stuff. By upgrading from FC1 to FC3, have I missed some
sort of pre-config routine that should have been run after gnupg was
installed?

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.668_FC3 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov