Re: ftp trouble (2) - routing?

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 11:52, Robert Slade wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 01:05, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb Robert Slade um 12:52:
> >
> > > I have a similar problem to SJ, I have added ip_conntrack_ftp to the
> > > iptables.config but this only partially solved the problem.
> > >
> > > In my case the ftp server has 2 NICs eth0 is on my local network and is
> > > trusted - it is used for control eg SSH and VNC. eth1 has an external
> > > IP.
> >
> > Did you try using the "ip_nat_ftp" iptables kernel module?
>
> Yes, I have both ip_conntrack_ftp and ip_nat_ftp listed. I have tried it
> with only ip_conntrack_ftp loaded too. I still get the same results.
>

> > > I have the gateway for eth0 set as the internal gateway and for eth1 as
> > > the external one, is this right?
> >
> > You shouldn't set gateway entries for each device individually. Remove
> > entries if you have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[0,1] and
> > set it only in /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> Thanks Alexander. I have done as you suggest. I have only listed the
> external gateway in /etc/sysconfig/network every this still works when I
> connect to the server from my internal network, but not from an external
> machine. I think the problem is with the firewall. Trouble is I am not
> sure where to look to fix it.
>
> Rob

I take that back. If I connect from a machine on the local network to
the FTP external IP and issue a passive command to turn off passive
mode, a ls command hangs after:

200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.

However, doing the same to the ftp server internal IP address works ok.

Rob