Re: YUM Update Killed GUI

Mark Sargent wrote:
Hi All,

got the latest updates from the RedHat Fedora repository, and the install,
via YUM stalled at 23 of 33 updates. So, I closed the cli and rebooted, and
the system rebooted all the way until it got to the 1st
GUI/username/password input(if you can call a blank window getting to). I
hadn't done any back-ups at this stage(actually, had just studied how to
make back-ups with TAR just last night). Anyway, I booted with the recovery
CD, and did another YUM Update, but, it said there was nothing to update.
What has happened here..? A lot of the updates were I think Xorg stuff/fints
etc. Can I get back from this, or, is it another install(ouch)..? Cheers.

P.S. I'm not too sure what info to post for this. Can I get YUM to print
what it installed etc..? Let me know if you need something to assist in
evaluating this mess. Cheers, again.

Mark,

Couple of quick questions. Which window manager were you using (gnome, kde?). What display/session manager (gdm, xdm, kdm?) I encountered a similar problem with upgrading. What happened is that fedora defaults to gnome window manager. I prefer kde. install went fine, but when I upgraded/updated & rebooted, I suddenly had a blank screen. Apparently the desktop settings in /etc/sysconfig/desktop got messed up and the system couldn't find the default (gnome). I edited /etc/sysconfig/desktop to the following:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

after reboot, everything worked fine.

John
begin:vcard
fn:John Burton
n:Burton;John
org:G&A Technical Software, Inc.
adr;dom:Suite 101;;11864 Canon Blvd.;Newport News;VA;23606
email;internet:j.c.burton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Principal Associate
tel;work:757-873-5920
tel;fax:757-873-5924