RE: YUM Update Killed GUI

-----Original Message-----
From: John Burton [mailto:j.c.burton@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 2004?11?19? 22:42
To: powderkeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: YUM Update Killed GUI

Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> got the latest updates from the RedHat Fedora repository, and the install,
> via YUM stalled at 23 of 33 updates. So, I closed the cli and rebooted,
and
> the system rebooted all the way until it got to the 1st
> GUI/username/password input(if you can call a blank window getting to). I
> hadn't done any back-ups at this stage(actually, had just studied how to
> make back-ups with TAR just last night). Anyway, I booted with the
recovery
> CD, and did another YUM Update, but, it said there was nothing to update.
> What has happened here..? A lot of the updates were I think Xorg
stuff/fints
> etc. Can I get back from this, or, is it another install(ouch)..? Cheers.
>
> P.S. I'm not too sure what info to post for this. Can I get YUM to print
> what it installed etc..? Let me know if you need something to assist in
> evaluating this mess. Cheers, again.

Mark,

Couple of quick questions. Which window manager were you using (gnome,
kde?). What display/session manager (gdm, xdm, kdm?) I encountered a
similar problem with upgrading. What happened is that fedora defaults to
gnome window manager. I prefer kde. install went fine, but when I
upgraded/updated & rebooted, I suddenly had a blank screen. Apparently
the desktop settings in /etc/sysconfig/desktop got messed up and the
system couldn't find the default (gnome). I edited
/etc/sysconfig/desktop to the following:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

after reboot, everything worked fine.

John

Hi John,

was using gnome. Someone, on another forum/list, suggested
removing/reinstalling xorg. As this is a learning thing for me, I thought
why not see what happens. Now, I have Twm and when executing "switchdesk
gnome", it says gnome doesn't exist. Doing a yum install or update gnome
gives nothing except no action required. Think it may be a reinstall on the
cards. Oh well, all for learning, I guess. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.
Hi John