Re: failure to boot

I have been having problems booting my machine in FC3.

James Wilkinson suggested:

snd-intel8x0m: sound and/or modem i8xx_tco: watchhdog: can reboot the machine if it hangs. You don't need it. hw_random: Hardware random number generator. You don't need it. uhci-hcd uhci-hcd : USB yenta_socket yenta_socket yenta_socket: PCMCIA, IIRC.

You might want to rewrite those lines:
load_module snd-intel8x0m
load_module uhci-hcd

etc.

Then you can enable them and disable them individually without changing
anything else.

I have not done that yet, I tried first disabling pcmcia, see below.

Yes, that's fine. For the moment, shall we disable PCMCIA?

There's a couple of ways of doing this.

One is simply to press "I" for an interactive startup when prompted, and
choose not to load PCMCIA services.

I tried that a couple of times, but never managed. I guess I am just too slow. Then again, I actually don't know if this means 'press <shift>+i' or just <i>?

One is to go into /etc/modprobe.conf
and change the yenta-socket lines to
install yenta-socket /bin/true
(or add one of those lines if yenta-socket isn't mentioned).

That's the one I tried. And low and behold, FC3 boots up and lets me log in and shows me a different desktop from FC2. Thanks a lot, James!

Or we can get past the "Starting pcmcia" by deleting /etc/rc5.d/09pcmcia
(or the same file in rc3.d if you set X not to start automatically).

Didn't seem necessary any more.

It would probably help if you could disable RHGB and the quiet mode.
You've been told how to do this from the grub command line: you can make
this permanent in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Done that as well. I may change that again at some point, if I get fed up with all that text.

Good luck!

James.

There are lots more questions for me now. I am not sure if I should start new threads for each one of them, please advise. The most obvious one is:

Now that I disabled pcmcia, I suppose I won't be able to use my wireless cardbus card (D-Link DWL-660). However, I'd like to use it. How do I do that?

Secondly, what do you use to record CDs in FC3?

Thirdly, how can I mount my Windows partition in FC3 (showing my complete ignorance again...)?

I also suffer from this 1400x1050 screen resolution problem which seems to haunt many people. I'll see if I can follow what others have written before I start bothering this list.

Thanks again, and let me know what I should do about the above questions.

Gerhard