Re: failure to boot

Gerhard H. W. May had been having problems booting his machine in FC3.

I suggested that he should disable his PCMCIA card:

> One [way] is to go into /etc/modprobe.conf
> and change the yenta-socket lines to
> install yenta-socket /bin/true
> (or add one of those lines if yenta-socket isn't mentioned).

He reported:

> That's the one I tried. And low and behold, FC3 boots up and lets me
> log in and shows me a different desktop from FC2. Thanks a lot, James!

Great!

Now you've got that working, I'd recommend putting /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
back the way it was as far as possible (I think you can put it back to
how it was initially). That should help with future upgrades.

Speaking of which, upgrades should be your next priority. There's a new
kernel out, which might have fixed the PCMCIA problem. And there are
lots of other upgrades, too.

And then, if that doesn't help, can you report your problems to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com ?

Gerhard continued:
> There are lots more questions for me now. I am not sure if I should
> start new threads for each one of them, please advise. The most obvious
> one is:
>
> Now that I disabled pcmcia, I suppose I won't be able to use my
> wireless cardbus card (D-Link DWL-660). However, I'd like to use it.
> How do I do that?

You can't, really, not until the PCMCIA stuff is sorted. You said that
you were still having problems without the card in, which implies a
fairly low-level incompatibility: there's no point in fiddling around
with wireless drivers, for example. Sorry.

> Secondly, what do you use to record CDs in FC3?

Personally, I like scripting that, so I use cdrecord (from the command
line).  But k3b (which is graphical) has a good reputation.

> Thirdly, how can I mount my Windows partition in FC3 (showing my
> complete ignorance again...)?

Depends if it's NTFS or FAT32. If it's FAT32, put this line in
/etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 /media/windows  vfat defaults,dmask=0,fmask=111 0 0

If it's NTFS, you'll have to get the appropriate RPMs for your kernel
from http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html , and change
"vfat" to "ntfs" in the above line. You won't be able to write to it,
though.

Have fun!

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Drums must never stop. Very bad if drums stop."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Why? What will happen if the drums ever stop?"