Re: GeForce FX Go 5200 on a Inspiron 8600 running FC3

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 21:43 -0500, Mathew S. Nowend wrote:
> I am running a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a Ge Force 5200 64meg video
> card.  I downloaded the latest driver from Nvidiaâs website NVIDIA-
> Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run.  I followed the instructions in their
> read.me exactly and had no problems with the installation.  During the
> installation it did ask if I wanted NVIDIA to install a new kernel and
> I did select yes.   Here is where the problem is I was configuring
> xorg.conf  as follows:

Hi Mathew,

I know from prior posts that there have been some issues with the WUXGA
panels in terms of having to tweak the xorg.conf settings. The
'modeline' setting seems to be the most problematic component.

I located an xorg.conf file for a gentlemen that appears to have gotten
his working properly. You might want to start out by using his and
seeing how that works.  It is located here:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~rbirdman/configs/xorg.txt

There are likely to be others here in the same boat and who may be able
to offer you further assistance. I have the regular UXGA panel on my
5150 and have not had these issues.

One of the places also to look for error messages during the startup of
the x server is:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

I would recommend that you change back to init level 3 for the time
being until you get this resolved. That way, you can at least boot to a
text mode console and use 'startx' to attempt to bring up the GUI to aid
with debugging.

HTH,

Marc