Re: Move from Raid 1 to single disk

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:42:38 +0000, Mark Farmer <farmorg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list
>
> A bit of an odd one this but I seem to be good at finding the odd ones :-)
>
> I have a box running FC3 on raid 1 across my 2 hdd's.
> The raid is a bit overkill really & I have decided that I would like
> to reclaim my 2nd hdd, so.....
> I am currently copying my entire filesystem to a backup location on a
> server, the plan being to boot something like a knoppix cd,
> repartition my hda, copy my filesystem back to it, modify fstab and
> reboot it from the single disk.

For the record and in case anyone else is crazy enough to want to do
this, it actually worked! (with a little bit of tweaking.)  I did a
minimal install of FC3 before booting the Knoppix cd so that /sys &
/dev were in place ready to go (no need to copy them to & fro,
although I did back them up).
Only problems I had were:
1.  Had problems copying /var back, it kept halting & I had to rm -rf
/var/spool/postfix/private; rm -f /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm && *.hdr;
rm -f /var/something/repackage/*.rpm
2.  Had to reinstall postfix.
3.  Couldn't log back into Gnome, so I switched to KDE, no big deal &
I could probably fix Gnome now that I have kde running but can't be
bothered :-)

I think that's it.

--
Mark Farmer RHCT