Re: P4 Motherboard for File Server

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 08:51, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know why your requirements are so high.. I'm running a P3 300Mhz
> >> 512 MB Ram as a file-server.
> >>
> >> 600GB IDE Storage
> >
> > I wondered too.
>
> If you want to get over ~60MB/s agregate via nfs your server is going to
> need a faster connection between you disk controllers, processor and your
> NIC's than 32bit 33mhz pci.

~60MB/s sounds like enough to saturate 40 T1 links, and definitely would
likely require multiple gigabit LAN as well as massive switches and
routers.

It would seem better to me to use a SAN storage unit with fibre channel
rather than a pc file server on a LAN for that massive throughput. NFS
will be a major bottleneck here.

In any case, for that throughput it definitely requires a server class
system.