Re: P4 Motherboard for File Server

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 06:36:33PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:42, Satin Knight wrote:
> > I need a motherboard suggestion. I've a Pentium 4 / 2.4C GHz 800MHz
> > CPU sitting aorund and want to build a file server using a SATA RAID.
> > I've already got four WD SATA 250 GB drives, a nice 3Ware Escalade
> > 9500S-4LP controller and a beautiful Chenbro RM311 case.
>
> I don't know why your requirements are so high.. I'm running a P3 300Mhz
> 512 MB Ram as a file-server.
>
> 600GB IDE Storage

I wondered too.

A file server only needs to have disks that match the
wire speed.  While he specified multiple network links
he did not specify the speed of those links.

How many clients, what type of service NFS, samba, ftp, http, squid???
Lots of things qualify as file serving today.

An rsync host does demand extra CPU if the client load is high.

One comment is that a reliable mother board is likely one that has one
notch down: CPU, IO and memory installed and two notch up fan/ cooling.
Keep those disks cool....

Do some measurements... and analysis.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l