FC3 upgrade failure

I have this in my fstab:

   /dev/hdg1                     /mnt/hdg1        ext3 rw       0 0

   /mnt/hdg1/local               /usr/local       none rw,bind  0 0

   /mnt/hdg1/local/var/lib/rpm   /var/lib/rpm     none rw,bind  0 0
   /mnt/hdg1/local/var/cache/apt /var/cache/apt   none rw,bind  0 0
   /mnt/hdg1/local/var/cache/yum /var/cache/yum   none rw,bind  0 0

The FC3 upgrade will not mount these last three directories. (I think
that /usr/local is mounted, but I don't actually remember.) The result
is a nearly a complete failure to upgrade because no packages are
found and hence none are upgraded. (A few packages are installed by
default and the system might have booted had not I had SCSI driver
problem (see my previous email.)

The workaround (for me) was to delete a bunch of stuff in /var, and
then to copy the RPM database files from /mnt/hdg1/local/var/lib/rpm
to /var/lib/rpm.

I think that a Fedora core upgrade should honor the users intentions
as captured by the mounts in /etc/fstab, i.e. mount all possible
drives.

--- Vladimir

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                      http://leonora.org/~vladimir
Palo Alto, CA 94306                                    +1 650 678 8014