Re: Upgrading from FC1 to FC2

> I am familiar with synaptic but what would I need to do to access the
> files to install Core 2 or Core 3?   What repositories do I access or
> add to synaptic?  I find the websites and ftp sites for the Linux
> distributions to be very confusing and not user friendly for us newbies.

You need to add a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list file, or in one of
the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list files, depending on what version of apt
you have.

You can do this either from Synaptic (when you add repositories in Synaptic
all it really does is edit these files) or manually from a text editor.

There are sample repository lists avaliable on the web. But, for example for
Drie's repository you'd change:

rpm http://apt.sw.be dries/fedora/fc1/i386 dries
to:
rpm http://apt.sw.be dries/fedora/fc2/i386 dries

just chaning the 1 to a 2 isn't part of any standard directory scheme though,
so don't rely on it alone. If you visit the site that holds the repository
they will have the exact line you need to add to the sources list.

Basically, when it comes to the apt/synaptic realationship:
 Clicking refresh = #apt-get update
 Clicking update all = #apt-get upgrade
 Marking and aplying intallation of foo = #apt-get install foo

> What repositories do I access or add to synaptic?

Depends - what packages do you want?
For the normal stuff, the ones I listed