Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Miller" <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:17:44AM -0500, Dave Lester wrote:
On the latter machine, whenever I do a man or look at other text files in
vi, I get some characters that are screwed up. That's why I'm assuming
that it's the $LANG variable that's doing it.
Any guidance on fixing this is appreciated.

Others have answered with good answers to the question you actually asked, but here's another observation -- the problem isn't necessarily that the LANG variable is set incorrectly, but that something in your environment can't handle UTF8 properly. UTF8 is an encoding for dealing with unicode characters, and it's nice to have working as the world becomes more interconnected.

The thing I'd look at first is your terminal program -- what are you using?

Well it happens in SecureCRT, but it also happens when I open a terminal window in Gnome or if I telnet/ssh from another system. I have an FC2 machine in my office that I use to ssh into the problematic one, and it also happens there. My default shell is bash. I did actually fix it by setting $LANG="en_US" in my .bash_profile. But you are correct in your observation that my problem is probably a symptom of some other problem since of the 3 FC2 machines I have, it only happens on 1 of them.

Thanks