Re: yum vs. up2date

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:49:52 -0400, linux r <linuxr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for asking.  I am not near a Fedora machine at the moment.  To
> answer your question, the answer is, 'no, it does not answer my
> questions'.   That is, I have also looked at the man page, but it does
> not do what the man page says it should do.
>
> yum update packagename
>
> will try to update my   _entire_system_   regardless of packages.
> Weird.   By the way this is with packages known to be installed.
> Maybe is has to do with some particular package that is interfering
> with yum, who knows.  I am trying to 'force' it to upgrade a single
> package, not the whole system - which is of course time consuming,
> unnecessary, and a hassle as well.  I will run it when I get home and
> post it if I can reproduce the error.

Hi,
I do not see this behavior.  If I type "yum update <pkgname>" then it
only updates that package.  However, what I think you might be seeing
is it downloading headers (files that have info about each package).
yum will download all available headers before doing the update
(downloading the rpms and actually installing stuff).  Yes, this can
take some time if it does not have the headers.  If you get to it
where it actually updates, it will ask you if it is okay to install
the packages that it determines you need to update the package.  Does
it reach this point?  I don't know if this is it, but it occured to me
to be a possibility.  Keep us posted as to what happens with your
test.

Jonathan