Re: yum vs. up2date

linux r wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:23:38 -0400, Peter Volsted <pvolsted@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi

linux r wrote:
----- snip

I have problems with yum sometimes.  Like if I say 'yum update
packagex', it will update my entire system, or try to anyway.  That is
the syntax from the man page.  I haven't seen what option turns that
off.  Does anyone know if yum has a '--force singlepackageonly' type
option?

Doesn't man yum with: "update If  run without any packages, update
         will update every currently installed package.  If one or more
         packages are  specified,  Yum will  only update the listed
         packages.  While updating packages, yum will ensure that all
        dependencies  are  satisfied.   If  no  package  matches  the
given
        package name(s), they are assumed to be a shell glob and any
        matches are then installed."  answer both your questions?

--
good luck

peter

Thanks for asking. I am not near a Fedora machine at the moment. To answer your question, the answer is, 'no, it does not answer my questions'. That is, I have also looked at the man page, but it does not do what the man page says it should do.

yum update packagename

will try to update my _entire_system_ regardless of packages. Weird. By the way this is with packages known to be installed. Maybe is has to do with some particular package that is interfering
with yum, who knows. I am trying to 'force' it to upgrade a single
package, not the whole system - which is of course time consuming,
unnecessary, and a hassle as well. I will run it when I get home and
post it if I can reproduce the error.

This is not what happens here. The only changes I made to yum.conf is to change the depository that I retrieve from from the Fedora main site to mirrors.kernel.org. Because my system resolves to RH9 as the installed system, I had to change the $releasever to a fixed 2. You might want to check on the settings in yum.conf as it appears that yum is ignoring the 'package not found' error. Also, try using the update parameter instead of upgrade.

James McKenzie