Re: Evolution Question

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:56:52PM +0100, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 15:30 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > Douglas,
> >
> > > If you are using cyrus-imapd you can set permissions on individual users
> > > mailbox's allowing "delegated" individuals to have access to another
> > > persons account. This can be limited to just read access, write access,
> > > and several other things depending on your needs.
> >
> > Will this move the mail from the /var/spool/mail/~ mailbox on the server
> > to the real user's Evolution Inbox, or to the buddy's Evolution Inbox ?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> With this method, the mail would not be moved any where, all mail would
> be stored on the central server.

One of the things that I suspect you want to do is setup the mail
clients to copy messages to the local machine AND keep originals on
the servers.  In some user agents there is the notion of a mobile
profile for this.

The imap/POP process then gets invoked to 'synchronize' mail deleting
messages based on meta data that were marked for deletion etc.  I
cannot recall which (imap/pop) does this best there is a big
difference on this issue.  I believe you want to disable the 'bad'
one.

As for the client setups you want some standardization for the
multiple mail boxes.  Two of the obvious would be WIP for work in
progress, and Personal.

There are some serious issues about privacy to consider when you share
mailboxes.  For example you cannot mail 'private' business
communication like personal performance reviews, salary information
and such to a shared mail box.  This extends to log mail boxes like
'sentmail' where the employee might mail to the manager an absence
message that might disclose personal medical information about the
absence you are specifically addressing.  Some countries have even
stricter rules about such things than the US does.  Some of this can
be covered by a departmental mail policy but you cannot ignore the
legal issue of reasonable expectations.

If it is working correctly your employee can see exactly the same view
of mail from multiple machines with multiple agents including web
agents (squirrelmail) and outlook.

The good news is that it is easy to make multiple dummy test users on
a set of boxes and tinker.  In fact you can have test test users on
multiple network remote machines as well.

Most of this demands correct setup configuration...
Training and documentation will be important steps for you
and the employees.

For the most part you have more capability and flexibility with a Linux
server.  Your client choices are long and correctly setup can include
WindowZ applications like Outlook, and also Linux flavors like
Netscape mail, Evolution, Balsa, Mozilla mail, Pine, mutt, sylphed.

Make sure that one 'pure text' agent is documented.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy