Re: Evolution Question

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 15:30 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> > If you are using cyrus-imapd you can set permissions on individual users
> > mailbox's allowing "delegated" individuals to have access to another
> > persons account. This can be limited to just read access, write access,
> > and several other things depending on your needs.
>
> Will this move the mail from the /var/spool/mail/~ mailbox on the server
> to the real user's Evolution Inbox, or to the buddy's Evolution Inbox ?
>
> Jonathan

With this method, the mail would not be moved any where, all mail would
be stored on the central server.

Lets say we have a user called Manager, and a user called PA (personal
assistant). On the server we would do some thing like this.

Using the cyradm utility
sam user/user.manager user.pa lrswip
This will give the PA user the following rights
List:- To be able to see the mailbox
Read:- Be able to read the users mailbox
Seen:- Allow the PA to set her own "seen" state of emails
Write:- User is able to do some other things other then delete and seen
(controlled by other rights).
Insert:- User pay insert messages to the inbox, could be usefull so that
copies of replies can be included in the users sent foulder
Post:- Similar to insert, but includes more "tracking" information

Once this has been done you need to configure the PA's mail client to be
able to see the managers folders. In evolution go to Tools -> Subscribe
to Folders. Select the PA's account from the drop down list. The you
should be able to see some of the other mail boxes (namely
user.manager).
Subscribe to that mail box.

This is an incredibly "rough" explanation, as we still don't know which
IMAP server you are using.

If you already have cyrus (or another IMAP server that supports ACL's in
this manner) then I seriously feel this is the best solution for what
you want.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator