Re: emacs via putty & keystrokes

Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> I set
>    UTF-8 in translation
>     Control-H for backspace
>     Linux for function keys and keypad
>     Courier, 10-point for font
> in the main Putty panel and mistakenly assumed those were universal
> settings. Once I set them for a particular profile (now that I know
> where I made the mistake), things got better, but still not perfect.
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction James.
>
> I'm using GNU emacs on FC2 from a W2K box via Putty without an X tunnel.
>
> An echo $TERM always returns xterm regardless of the Putty settings.
> That's probably what's broken.

Sorry. You've just fired a neuron. PuTTY just passes what's in the
Connection configuration window's "Terminal-type string" setting, and
that gets set up as $TERM.

By default it's xterm. I find that setting this to linux works better.
You may or may not find this.

(There's talk of a PuTTY-specific terminfo:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/terminfo.html
)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | transformation into the Infallible Hulk."