Re: emacs via putty & keystrokes

Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> If I ssh into that box from a Windows Putty session and run emacs, the
> backspace and end keys don't function as expected.  I assume this is in
> the ssh session somewhere, but where?

Works for me. Play with the Terminal -> Keyboard window in Putty
configuration.

$ echo $TERM
does return linux, doesn't it?

Which emacs are you using: GNU or Xemacs?

Are you using X tunnelling, or are you running emacs in text mode?

> Possibly related is another annoyance. As an example, man find run from
> the console or X is fine. Run from the Putty session, the first line of
> the second paragraph in the DESCRIPTION section shows strange characters:
>     The first argument that begins with â-â, â(â, â)â, â,â, or
>     â!â is taken
> I don't know what email will show the above to look like after I send
> it, but instead of single quotes, I get the letter a with an umlaut over it.

Works for me, too.

This shouldn't afect anything, but Window -> Translation: Received
data... is set to UTF-8, isn't it?

Which font are you using? I find Courier New good.

At a guess, I'd say that the terminal emulation is screwed up somewhere.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "But alas, we don't need a car, so I have a bus
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | timetable and one day the buses will read it too."