Re: emacs via putty & keystrokes

James Wilkinson wrote:

Play with the Terminal -> Keyboard window in Putty configuration.

$ echo $TERM
does return linux, doesn't it?

Which emacs are you using: GNU or Xemacs?

Are you using X tunnelling, or are you running emacs in text mode?

This shouldn't afect anything, but Window -> Translation: Received
data... is set to UTF-8, isn't it?

Which font are you using? I find Courier New good.

"It aint what you don't know that'll hurt ya, it's what you "know" that aint so." -- Will Rogers

I thought I had the proper settings, but actually I didn't.

I set
UTF-8 in translation
Control-H for backspace
Linux for function keys and keypad
Courier, 10-point for font
in the main Putty panel and mistakenly assumed those were universal settings. Once I set them for a particular profile (now that I know where I made the mistake), things got better, but still not perfect. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction James.

I'm using GNU emacs on FC2 from a W2K box via Putty without an X tunnel.

An echo $TERM always returns xterm regardless of the Putty settings. That's probably what's broken.

Backspace now works. The end key still doesn't work. I forgot to mention that hitting the home key brings up a search box too. I tried both the "standard" and "rxvt" settings in Putty for the Home and End keys but neither one works as expected.

I think I'll get a later Putty client and see what happens.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx