Re: xorg.conf messed up.

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 16:31, Myron Slover wrote:
> I made changes in my xorg.conf file and unable to
> start X. I commented out load dri and changed driver
> from nv to nvidea. I did this because of suggestion in
> response to someone else trying to get nvidea drivers
> to work. My glx did't work well at all. I rebooted
> with rescue disc and tried to edit file back to what
> it was. but file /etc/x11 is not visible. I booted
> with knoppix and can see /etc/x11/xorg.conf but unable
> to edit due to permissions.

In addition to Charles' advice, I would say two things: First the
driver's name is "nvidia" not "nvidea" like you wrote twice in your
post.  Perhaps you spelled it incorrectly in you xorg.conf as well.
Second whenever you boot in rescue mode the program asks you if you want
to mount the filesystem.  It does so under /mnt/sysimage or something
along those lines.  You can either chroot to that directory or just edit
/mnt/sysimage/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Again I'm not 100% sure of the
directory's name, but it will tell you if you mount the root filesystem.

Wayne Steenburg