Re: xorg.conf messed up.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:31:22 -0700 (PDT), Myron Slover
<slovers4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I made changes in my xorg.conf file and unable to
> start X. I commented out load dri and changed driver
> from nv to nvidea. I did this because of suggestion in
> response to someone else trying to get nvidea drivers
> to work. My glx did't work well at all. I rebooted
> with rescue disc and tried to edit file back to what
> it was. but file /etc/x11 is not visible. I booted
> with knoppix and can see /etc/x11/xorg.conf but unable
> to edit due to permissions.
>
> =====

Did you install the binary nvidia drivers before making these changes?
 If you get the binary driver from nvidia, the instructions tell you
to make these changes after installing the nvidia driver.  Otherwise X
definitely won't work because there is no nvidia driver, only the nv
driver it defaults to.

To get X working again boot into single user mode.  To do this, when
the grub menu appears, highlight the linux option, then press 'e' to
edit, then you will see the grub config lines associated with the boot
selection, now select the second line, the one that says root=LABEL=/
(or sometimes can be /dev/hdxx), now press 'e' again to edit that
line, then at the end of the line just type the word 'single' then
press enter then press 'b' to boot.

This will boot you into a command line only environment with root
privileges, so you can make your changes with no permission problems.