Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 17:23, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Sam, 2004-10-09 at 10:34 -0500, Phillip T. George wrote:
> > Its becoming more and more common each day, and I think its not that
> > much of a sacrfice to make, so that there is less spam in the world
> > (or at least less spam sources).
>
> How could this possibly reduce the amount of spam in the world?

I have a static IP address and run a smtp server. My isp puts all the
static ip addresses into the dns blackhole lists. I use my ISP's mail
server as a smart host and send mail through it. If a user such as
myself misconfigures their smtp server to act as an open relay then
(hopefully) a receiving mail server will check the dns blackhole lists
and refuse to accept the email.

Thus users misconfiguring their own email servers should no longer be
used as a source of spam.

> > ALSO, most ISPs that offer a businss service remove this restriction.
>
> THAT is indeed a good point, first remove functionality and then make
> customers pay extra.

Unfortunately this seems a common business tactic, but perhaps it is
thought that business customers are less likely to misconfigure smtp
servers?

Regards

Chris