Re: Fedora Core 3 Test 2 Questions

Douglas Furlong wrote:

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:11 -0500, cajun wrote:

Morning Everyone,

Well I figure I had better take the plunge before this thing gets to far ahead of me. Anyways I have a couple of questions:

Running RH9 on Dell PowerEdge 1600SC

I am getting ready to install FedoraCore3 Test2 and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers:

1. Should I do this as a fresh install or do an upgrade? Would I run into less troubles by doing a fresh install?

I believe you will have a much easier time doing a fresh install between Redhat x and Fedora Core x, Fedora Core X to Fedora Core X+x is meant to be fairly smooth.

2. I remember when I installed RH9 the first time I had some troubles getting DSL up and running. Is getting DSL up and running a little easier in FC3T2 or will I need to use a third party pppoe like I did in RH9?

I think you'll have to give a bit more details about your setup, however I believe PPPoE should be fairly easy to get up and running.

3. Would it be better to get FC2 and waiting for the finial release of FC3?

Considering how long you have waited so far, if I was you I'd probably
wait untill FC3 final, as apposed to the hassle of going to FC2 and then
up to FC3.

I would avoid using a test release on a production system (or at least a
test release that you upgrade) as you could quite easily find your
system being messed up (eg file system problems with test kernels a few
weeks ago!).

Thanks Douglas for the info. I went out early to the list for FC3T2 and looked through some of the e-mails that were out there, and I think I will take your advise and just hold off. This server is really not that critical. I use this at home, but I guess my kids would think that it was critical, especially if they lost their connection to the net. haha!!!

Thanks again!!

Lee Perez