Re: Samba - Sharing files with XP and missing files

YigalB wrote:

I am still trying to share files with XP (I can see the XP machines from my Fedora but not the other way around).

I read in Samba’s web site that SWAT is a GUI for Samba’s CFG file – so I downloaded it but RPM fail to install it because liblber & libldap are required.

In http://rpmfind.net I found files relevant for Mandrake but not for FC2 which I use. What should I do now? Is it safe/ok to use libs compiled for other distributions? Or is there another solution?

Another thing that bother me is why doesn’t RPM go and take the needed files automatically ? I mean all the information is there: the names, the version..

Thanks

Yigal

As root, in a terminal window, try

    yum install samba-swat

yum should try to resolve any dependency issues.  The problem may be that the needed packages might not be available in the repositories (in your /etc/yum.conf file).

Once installed, you will have to add a line

    swat   901/tcp

to your /etc/services file.  Next, start

    system-config-services

from a terminal window and check the box for swat.  Load your favorite browser and go to

    http://localhost:901

(assuming hostname is localhost).

--
Steven J. Brown
Business A*nalyst / Programmer

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.