Re: aic7xx system hangs

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 17:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>
> > I did find a way to get the machine to boot!  I tried to find out where
> > the new hardware probe occurred.  This lead to renaming
> > /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S05kudzu  to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K05kudzu
> >
> > Is this a bad idea for the future?  I don't plan on adding any hardware
> > to this machine.
>
> I may be mistaken, but isn't this just a way of turning kudzu off?
> What does "chkconfig --list kudzu" say after this change?
> If it is turned off,
> then a simpler way of getting the same result might be
> "chkconfig kudzu off" (as root).

Names starting with S in these directories will start the corresponding
service if not already running, and names starting with a K will stop it
if currently running.

Kudzu is not a necessary part of the boot-up, unless you rely on it for
reconfiguring your hardware. Everything it does can be done in other
ways. Note that if you ever change to another runlevel, you may have the
same problem unless you also disable it there. Check runlevels 3 and 4
as well (rc3.d, rc4.d).
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@xxxxxxxxx>