Re: aic7xx system hangs

On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:15 PM, C. Linus Hicks wrote:

When you installed FC2, did you upgrade an existing RH9 installation on that system or did you do a new install?

You say you know your system will boot into RH9 - is that present tense,
as in you have it set up to dual boot, or are you just saying that you
know it works properly with RH9?

If the only way you have to look at the installed system is by booting
from CD (Knoppix, rescue mode, etc.) I would do that and try the old
aic7xxx driver. It doesn't work on my system. I get data overrun errors
and it doesn't register any devices, but I am running amd64 so that
could be the difference.

Here's what you will have to do to use the old driver (please note this
is a non-trivial process):

Boot the FC2 CD into rescue mode.

You will need access to the partitions where you installed FC2 and this
will require mounting them in non-standard locations.

Copy, not move, copy the <your install>/boot/initrd-<bletch>.img file to
/tmp/.

I'm not sure you'll have all the programs you will need in your path, so
you may have to get creative about mounting additional partitions and
adding appropriate directories to your path.

Rename that initrd file in /tmp to end in .img.gz then gunzip it.

Make sure you have some empty directory like /mnt/img where you can
mount another filesystem, then mount that .img file:

mount /tmp/initrd-<bletch>.img /mnt/img -o loop

When I did this I got the error message:
mount: Mounting /tmp/intitrd-2.6.5-1.358smp on /mnt/img failed: Block device required

The "/" directory is the "rescued root" and my installed root is located in /mnt/sysimage/
I tried mounting to both /mnt/img and /mnt/sysimgage/mnt/img; both gave me the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jeremy