Re: Red Hat nash problem

Tom asked:
Can you boot to any of these initstates?

   #   1 - Single user mode
   #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3,
if you do not have networking)
   #   3 - Full multiuser mode
   #   5 - X11

I tried #1, #3, #5 all with the same old error of hanging while loading aic7xxx. In #5, when I tried to ctrl-alt-del the machine did nothing. When I pressed ctrl-alt-del with #'s 1 & 3, their was two lines displaying something about stopping all devices and switching to read-only mode (sorry, they were displayed too quickly).

Jeremy got frightened ;-)
You are beginning to get way outside of my area of expertise.  I don't
even know what fstab is but I would love to know.  Keep in mind that I
cannot exclude the SCSI RAID device(s) because that is where my hard
drives are.

The comment symbol for fstab is the hash (#). If you put that at the beginning of a line, Fedora will ignore it. This means that you can put messages like # Jeremy took this out to get the system to boot in there, or put a hash at the beginning of an otherwise valid line to disable it (yet make it easy to re-enable it).

I found the file and commented out the CD-ROM. The other devices I recognized were the hard drive with the OS on it. I didn't think I should comment out those lines so I didn't. In any event eliminating the CD-ROM didn't help as the machine still wouldn't boot (except in rescue mode.)

BTW, I liked the commentary.
Jeremy