Re: SCSI tape drive with Adaptec adapter...

C. Linus Hicks wrote:
You didn't say, but you did disable termination in the tape drive when
you tried the cable that has its own terminator, right?

Yes, I disabled the tape drive's on-board termination.

I would ask your brother-in-law to try your tape drive in his system. If
it works, get him to try your SCSI adapter. Unless you know for sure
that it works, the test you did with the old CD-ROM drive you have only
proves there is a problem, which we know.

I'll have to do that next.

I did try the same card and tape drive combo in an older piece of hardware I have, which is also running Fedora Core 2. I had the exact same issues there.

To summarize the symptoms:

The card's BIOS recognizes the drive. Every time the bus gets reset the tape in the drive re-tensions.

Upon boot with the card kudzu asks me if I want to configure the card. I tell it to go ahead and configure it.

When done booting I find that the device is not seen and the aic7xxx driver is NOT loaded.

When I manually load the aix7xxx driver with modprobe the tape re-tensions and dmesg shows the following:
scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
<Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

(scsi1:A:4): 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)
Vendor: CONNER Model: CTT8000-S Rev: 1.17
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0, type 1
st: Version 20040403, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B), max page reachable by HBA 1048575

Any attempt to access the st0 tape device results in the following:

[root@crashnburn root]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
/dev/st0: Input/output error
[root@crashnburn root]# gtar tzf /dev/st0
tar (child): /dev/st0: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
gtar: Child returned status 2
gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Do IDE tape drives work in Fedora? Will my backups be compatible with a different drive? This drive doesn't have hardware compression.

-- Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/ greg @ gulik.org