Re: SCSI tape drive with Adaptec adapter...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone on this.

Anyway, quick update, my SCSI tape drive doesn't work. The original post was here:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg05266.html

First, to answer the question below, yes, the CD-ROM drive and the tape drive are found by the SCSI card BIOS screen just fine. If I use the built-in utilities the device comes up just fine as well.

Anyway, I tried several things and something isn't right. My brother-in-law gave me his known working Adaptec 2940U card, same model as mine, just appears to be a newer revision. I also have a different internal SCSI cable from him, this one with a terminator built-in to one end.

After rebooting Kudzu found something changed and had me unconfigure the old card and configure the new card. Fine with me.

However when it finished booting I found the card wasn't really recognized. The aic7xxxx driver had not been loaded. WTF!

If I load it manually with "modprobe aic7xxx" it shows up in dmesg:

scsi3 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
        <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
        aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

(scsi3:A:4): 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)
Vendor: CONNER Model: CTT8000-S Rev: 1.17
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg5 at scsi3, channel 0, id 4, lun 0, type 1
st: Version 20040403, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi3, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B), max page reachable by HBA 1048575

I did check termination. I used to use SCSI a lot, but it's been a few year. The SCSI card has auto termination built-in at it's end and I had the jumpers installed on the tape drive for Term Power and Term Act to be turned on. I also tried this new cable with a big terminator pack attached to the end of the SCSI cable with the tape drive connected at the connector just before it.

Any other ideas???

Chris Ruprecht wrote:
When the SCSI BIOS shows up on your boot screen, does it see the CD-ROM
drive?
If not, the most likely cause for it not beeing seen is that it is not
working.
Usually, you do not need a driver for SCSI devices - I have never needed
one in my 11 years of Linux.
Things to check:
Does the CD-ROM drive have a unique SCSI-ID? This is settable with a few
(3) jumpers and is binary encoded. No jumper -> SCSI-ID 0, 3 jumpers ->
SCSI ID 7 - which is usually used by the Adaptor, so chose 0 - 6 only.

Do you have the SCSI termination right? The last device on the kable
needs to be terminated or you have to add a terminator (not Arnold) to
the last connector of the SCSI cable. You should also set the adaptor to
be self terminating and make it the first/last device on the cable.
Never have the adaptor sitting somewhere in the middle.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/