Re: SCSI tape drive with Adaptec adapter...

When the SCSI BIOS shows up on your boot screen, does it see the CD-ROM
drive?
If not, the most likely cause for it not beeing seen is that it is not
working.
Usually, you do not need a driver for SCSI devices - I have never needed
one in my 11 years of Linux.
Things to check:
Does the CD-ROM drive have a unique SCSI-ID? This is settable with a few
(3) jumpers and is binary encoded. No jumper -> SCSI-ID 0, 3 jumpers ->
SCSI ID 7 - which is usually used by the Adaptor, so chose 0 - 6 only.

Do you have the SCSI termination right? The last device on the kable
needs to be terminated or you have to add a terminator (not Arnold) to
the last connector of the SCSI cable. You should also set the adaptor to
be self terminating and make it the first/last device on the cable.
Never have the adaptor sitting somewhere in the middle.

Best regards,
Chris