Re: How to create a fat32 partition from FC2 ?

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 17:10, Stephane Dellacherie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have previously installed FC2 by giving 80% of my
> hard drive to Linux. Then, I would like to format the
> remaining part of the hard drive (i.e. the remaining
> 20 %) with fat32 system to install a windowsXP.
>
> Indeed, the windows XP that was "given" with my laptop
> refuses to be installed on the remaining part of my
> hard drive (cf. the remaining 20 %). It says that
> there are to many partitions !!!
>
> And Microsoft refuses (of course !!!!!) to give any
> advice despite I was obliged to buy a winXP license !
>
> That is why I think a solution would bet to previously
> format the remaining 20 % of my hard drive from the
> linux system with the fat32 system before trying to
> instal windowsXP.
>
> Thank for your advice !
>
> Stéph

AFAIK I do not believe it possible to install XP in an extended
partition.

What most do is reserve the first partition on the drive for XP and
install Linux on the rest of the drive.  Also, with everything I have
heard or seen discussed, XP needs to be installed first, then install
Linux.