Re: rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 05:59, alain volmat wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> thanks for the information. Yam seems to be great.
> However, it actually still doesn't solve my first
> problem since its first choice is rsync, which mean
> that I still need to use ssh in fact.
> It seems to support lftp so if I can socksify lftp, I
> should be able to get my mirror.
>
> Alain
>

> --- Mike Ramirez <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 04:00, alain volmat wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use rsync over ssh to synchronise my
> > > server with one of fedora mirror.
> > > The problem is very simple actually, I'm being
> > asked
> > > for a password (ssh password on the fedora
> > mirror),
> > > which of course I don't have.
> > > My question is: are there any "anonymous" ssh
> > > rsync fedora mirror that I could use ?
> > > Or maybe I just miss some important point
> > concerning
> > > ssh ...
> > >
> > > I know that my problem would be solved by just
> > using
> > > rsync over rsh, but I have no choice but to use a
> > > socksified ssh.
> > >
> > > Alain

Ok I'm not sure if you need to use ssh for your networks or for the
servers.  If its for the latter with the default settings its not a
problem I never had to authenticate except for atrpms but I skipped it.
The thing with rsync is that it authenticates against the remote servers
rsyncd.conf file, so I'm going to assume you need to authenticate on the
remote servers that you are trying to mirror.

Chances are great I'm wrong and its because of your network but I don't
see how, could you explain that?, if this is the case.

You can also the password to rsync with the option --password-file=FILE

This is from man rsync, under the heading Connecting to a rsync server
over a remote shell.

In  order  to  distinguish  between the remote-shell user and the rsync
       server user, you can use â-l userâ on your remote-shell command:

              rsync -av --rsh="ssh -l ssh-user"
rsync-user@host::module[/path]
              local-path

       The  "ssh-user" will be used at the ssh level; the "rsync-user"
will be
       used to check against the rsyncd.conf on the remote host.

Hope this helps someway.  I thought in your first post you were looking
for anon servers.  Those are also look at the freshepms mailing list for
updates on the server status. atrpms and freshrpms have had problems
lately, I think they are fixed right now.