Re: Checkpoint system for FC2

ZHANG YD wrote:
> Is there checkpoint system for FC2? it will be very
> handy to rollback if made mistake?

It depends on what you want.

For configuration purposes, you want to back up /etc and possibly any
hidden files in your home directory. This should come to under 100 MB
uncompressed, and around 15 MB compressed (text configuration files
tend to compress very well).

So you could script that, and put the script into cron or rc.local,
possibly together with another script to clean out all but the latest
five.

For rolling back package updates, you'll want a copy of the Fedora CD
and any intermediate updates. Then use rpm -qa, diff and
/var/log/rpmpkgs* to find out what has changed, and rpm -F --oldpackage
to reinstall the old package.

For a complete system rollback, you really want a copy of each
filesystem at a previous point in time. I understand that LVM can
split mirrors (so you can back up to tape or disk a snapshot of a
filesystem without it changing under you). Or you could just keep a
disk with a snapshot and resync the mirror to another identical disk.

What did you have in mind?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Dalek invasion at work today. Plugged them into the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | net: they behave better than some Windows boxes. They