Re: rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

alain volmat said the following on 25/08/2004 13:00:
I'm trying to use rsync over ssh to synchronise my
server with one of fedora mirror.
The problem is very simple actually, I'm being asked
for a password (ssh password on the fedora mirror),
which of course I don't have.
My question is: are there any "anonymous" ssh rsync fedora mirror that I could use ?
Or maybe I just miss some important point concerning
ssh ...

I know that my problem would be solved by just using
rsync over rsh, but I have no choice but to use a
socksified ssh.

You need an account on the server to log in via ssh which you obviously won't have on a mirror. Also why bother encrypting the data, it is available to anybody who wants it.

You can use plain old rsync if the mirror server offers rsync access. E.g.

 - list all modules
   rsync carroll.cac.psu.edu::

 - list the fedora core module contents
   rsync carroll.cac.psu.edu::fedora-linux-core/

 - sync your local copy with the remote.
   cd <directory of your mirror copy>
   rsync -av --partial carroll.cac.psu.edu::fedora-linux-core/ .

--
Redmond, we have a problem.