Re: LPRng-style printer spec with CUPS?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Bryan K. Wright wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 	For years, I've been deploying machines with empty printcap
> files, and letting users specify the printer like this:
>
> 	lpr -P printer1@printserver file.ps
>
> (Or, if they setenv PRINTER to "printer1@printserver" they
> can just type "lpr file.ps".)  This worked great with LPRng, but now
> I'm playing around with FC2, which uses CUPS, and trying to figure
> out how to accomplish the same thing.
>
> 	The CUPS version of lpr doesn't seem to allow me to specify
> the print queue and server on the command line.  Is there a way to
> do this?

Install LPRng :). This is what I do.

I tried a RFE with the CUPS developers a while back about
'printer@machine%port'. This sugestion was turned down (if I remember
correctly) because CUPS can have @,% or other chars in the
print-queue-name. They said this feature would be added to the 'lp'
version of the tools - but I haven't verified this.

Satish