Re: OffLine Updates

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Richard E Miles wrote:

> > A few months ago I downloaded all the updates and loaded them onto a CD.
> >   Now a colleague want to set up a system off line (that may go online
> > to a bandwidth limited account later).
> >
> > What I want to do is loan him my CD and have, say, yum use the CD to
> > update his system?
> >
> > Alternatively is ther some sort of shell script that I can use that will
> > check that he has a particular package installed then upgrade it if
> > necessary.
> >
> > Does rpm -U -all check packages first?
> >
> > Michael
>
> As far as I know yum will not update from a cd. It uses the download
> repositories to download and update your system via rpm.

'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' usually is sufficient (except for updates that
introduce new depencies)

If you'd like to use yum - you can always create a local repository
for these updates (perhaps create this info & burn it into the CD)

To use the updates on cd via yum, the process would be:

- by whatever means - create a local repository location.
For eg:
mkdir /tmp/yum-local-repo
cd /tmp/yum-local-repo
cp /mnt/cdrom/*.rpm . [or ln -s /mnt/cdrom]

- Now create the yum header info
yum-arch .

- Add this new repository location to /etc/yum.conf

[local-updates]
name=Local Udates via CD/copy
baseurl=file:///tmp/yum-local-repo

- Now 'yum update' should work.