Re: The Best ADSL Modem?

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 02:53, regatta wrote:
> Thank you all for your help
>
> I know that the ISP is very important and I will signup with the best
> ISP in my area but I want to get more information about the ADSL
> modem, Does the USB one can run in Linux ?
>
> Because I don't think I need the modem for more than one PC
>
> Anyway does the cable that connected from the modem to the ISP can
> make a different in the speed ?

I'd get anything with a network jack on it, and stay away from the USB
ones. The ones with a network jack on them will be way more functional,
such as if you decide to run a router with it, say a Linksys or
something, and it's always easier to just have an ethernet, or second
ethernet card in your machine for the internet interface than it is to
try and fiddle with USB.

That said, I use and like the Alcatel modems. The newer ones can do all
the pppoe if you choose, as well as some simple port forwarding, or you
can run them in the other mode where they are like an old school DSL
modem.

I would say everybody is equally fast, although some of the cable in my
area now has 5M whereas my DSL is only at 3M. When I was a really heavy
games, I thought that my ping times were a little lower on cable, but
that's just me. I game differently now. (StarWars Galaxies as opposed to
Quake)

Anyways, hope this helps.