Re: pop3/imap server - possibly stupid question

Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx um 15:57:

> > "standard" - you did not say whether you use FC1 or FC2. The default
> > IMAP server on Core 1 is the uw-imap, on Core 2 it is dovecot. But it
> > does not matter regarding your question.
> >
> I don't know why people say that dovecot is the default imap server in
> FC2.
> On out FC2 where everything is installed cyrus-imapd is the running
> server and we did not choose that explicitly.

I said and say dovecot is the default IMAP server on FC2 because it is,
at least if you do a fresh new install. Only if you upgrade i.e. from
FC1 the cyrus-imapd is exchanging the obsolete uw-imapd, but that is
some kind of "accident" (or call it a bug).

Why is dovecot default? Because it runs out of the box without any need
for adjustments. Of course you can change things, like between Maildir
and mbox storage, and for running a POP3 server you need to edit the
dovecot.conf too. But to get the cyrus-imapd to run there are much more
things to do and the user needs a very deep understanding of things.

> Aaron Konstam

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 17:14:40 up 11 days, 10:42, load average: 0.09, 0.32, 0.25