Re: Cannot install FC2

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 17:36 -0500, Bill Tetens wrote:

 Deleted extaneous and irrevlevant information

> > > Totally new to Linux and am trying to install Fedora on a computer with
> > > a blank HDD.  I put disk one in the CD and changed the boot order
> > > putting the CD Rom first.
> > >
> > > The following error message is displayed after the CD appears to be checked.
> > >
> > > Reboot and select proper boot device
> > > or insert boot media in selectefd boot device.
> > >
> > > The CD passed the checksum  so I am assuming that it is OK but don't
> > > have a clue where to go now.  I know something is wrong but what.
> > >
> > > Help would be more than appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > Welcome aboard!
> > >
> > > Most likely you need to configure your bios to boot from the CDrom
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > The next most likely problem is that when you burned the CDs you did not
> > > burn them as images.  In you CD burner software there should be an
> > > option to burn the CD as an iso or image, then select the iso file you
> > > downloaded.  This will burn a bootable CD.  If you just burned the iso
> > > as data to the CD that will not work.
> > >
> > > My money is on the bios settings.

	Actually, it is rare to find a CD or DVD that isn't set up to boot.
The answer to your problems was given by Robert Crowther a couple of
hours ago, but was evidently missed.

When you burn an image to a disk and browse it using explorer, Konqueror
or Nautilus  You should not see the same file that you burned to the
Disk (FC2-i386-disc1.ISO) but should see several files and directories
(drawers).

YOu never did say what you are using (software) to burn the CD, but most
have the option to "burn image.." or some such.  Nero and Roxxio will
properly burn the iso if you either

1) right click the FC2-i386-disc1.ISO file and the menu says "Burn
image"

2) Double click on the FC2-i386-disc1.ISO icon

You will have to re-burn all the disks unfortunately, but do them 1 at a
time and check each with a convenient file browser to make sure that it
went ok.

Scott