Re: upgrade 8.0 to core2 has broken P4 Xeon (S2721) gigabit ethernet

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 04:27, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> I'm having problems with a server I have just upgraded from 8.0 to
> Fedora Core2.
> The networking stopped working though everything still looks ok.

How did you get your gigabit ethernet working in RHL 8.0 originally?  I
had to upgrade to a 2.4.20 kernel or use a separate driver--which did
you do?

> The machine in question has a dual P4 Xeon (S2721) motherboard
> which has 1 dual Gigabit ethernet and 1 single 100 Mg port.
> Before I upgraded I had my ethernet connected to one of the Gigabit
> ports. Since the upgrade all I can seem to do to get things working
> is connect to the 100 Mg port and configure that as eth0.
> This is ok for now but I want to get the Gigabit connection working
> soon.
> (Also, I at first tried to configure it as eth2, which is what I
> thought it should be, but that just confused things, and really that
> is another story! It seemed to want to slower port, when it was
> connected, eth0)
>
> I have an identical machine running 8.0 still so I can compare
> things. Here is the output of lsci:
>
> <698-54>brahma# lspci|grep ther
> 01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
> 100] (rev 10)
> 07:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (rev 01)
> 07:01.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (rev 01)

It looks like eth0 is the Intel EEPRO/100 and eth1/eth2 is the dual
Intel Gigabit.  Do you have 'alias eth1 e1000' in /etc/modprobe.conf?
If not, setup your card in the Network configuration GUI.

Forrest