upgrade 8.0 to core2 has broken P4 Xeon (S2721) gigabit ethernet

I'm having problems with a server I have just upgraded from 8.0 to
Fedora Core2.
The networking stopped working though everything still looks ok.

The machine in question has a dual P4 Xeon (S2721) motherboard
which has 1 dual Gigabit ethernet and 1 single 100 Mg port.
Before I upgraded I had my ethernet connected to one of the Gigabit
ports. Since the upgrade all I can seem to do to get things working
is connect to the 100 Mg port and configure that as eth0.
This is ok for now but I want to get the Gigabit connection working
soon.
(Also, I at first tried to configure it as eth2, which is what I
thought it should be, but that just confused things, and really that
is another story! It seemed to want to slower port, when it was
connected, eth0)

I have an identical machine running 8.0 still so I can compare
things. Here is the output of lsci:

<698-54>brahma# lspci|grep ther
01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
100] (rev 10)
07:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 01)
07:01.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 01)

I have tried diabling the Pro 100 port in the BIOS, and also
removing it from /etc/modprobe.conf and the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2 entry, thinking that it
was getting confused about which was which, but that didn't help
either. Is there something wrong with the driver that comes with the
Core2 setup? I have updated to the latest kernel(2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp)
and that hasn't helped either.

Any help much appreciated,

Ross

--