Re: Problem on Gnome Desktop and FORCE upgrade

Hi Darren,

FC2
(upgrade from RH 8.0)

I'm not the only guy suffering this problem.  One folk
had the same problem after upgrade and another on a
clean installation.

> > Gnome desktop behaves strangely.  It starts on GUI
> > login gnome-session but displaying KDE
> applications
> > and icons.  Clicking on bottom menu bar to start
> HELP
> > indicates Gnome 2.6-xxx help.
>
> I'm really not sure what you mean by displaying KDE
> applications and
> icons. If you installed any KDE applications then
> they will be in the
> main menu. The default theme since RHL9 is Bluecurve
> which is a common
> theme for both GNOME and KDE.

The Gnome desktop including icons look identical to
KDE with K-Start(Redhat) on bottom menu-bar.
Gnome-Start(the big-foot) disppears including
gnome-applications, such as gedit, nautilus, etc.
They have to be started on terminal.  I tried to add
them to the panel/menu but could not find them on
'add-to-Panel'.

I have been playing around for a week without a
solution.

> > # rpm -qa | grep gnome
> > shows all gnome packages installed
> >
> > I have following Gnome packages downloaded and did
> > FORCE upgrade;
>
> Well that was just a really stupid thing to do. Now
> all bets are off.
> God only knows what kind of state your system is in.

One of the folks suffering from same problem told me
that he made a force-upgrade/installation to solve his
problem.  But he could not guarantee I can make it.  I
just take my last retort.

B.R.
Stephen