Re: Problem on Gnome Desktop and FORCE upgrade

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 10:40, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Gnome desktop behaves strangely.  It starts on GUI
> login gnome-session but displaying KDE applications
> and icons.  Clicking on bottom menu bar to start HELP
> indicates Gnome 2.6-xxx help.

I'm really not sure what you mean by displaying KDE applications and
icons. If you installed any KDE applications then they will be in the
main menu. The default theme since RHL9 is Bluecurve which is a common
theme for both GNOME and KDE. Just go to the main menu -> Preferences ->
Theme to change it to something else. If that isn't what your problem is
perhaps you could take a screenshot and put it on the web and send us a
URL so we can see what your problem is (please don't send it as an
attachment to the list).

> # rpm -qa | grep gnome
> shows all gnome packages installed
>
> I have following Gnome packages downloaded and did a
> FORCE upgrade;

Well that was just a really stupid thing to do. Now all bets are off.
God only knows what kind of state your system is in.

> Any advice???

Yes, stop trying to force the installation of packages which your system
is telling you are already installed. If you think there is something
wrong with your system, investigate the -V or --verify option to rpm by
reading the man page (man rpm).

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com