Re: Fedora Core 2 and audio

Steve Cooke wrote:

Florin Andrei wrote:

(Among other things ...)

The third reason for me not filing a bug report is that I really do not believe it *that* important that sound works right out of the box.

Hey, guys
If Linux is a private game for geeks with horn-rimmed glasses, shaggy beards, and hair on their palms, then that is an acceptable answer, but if Linux is EVER to be accepted popularly, that is the wrong way to go. Especially with a sound chip that is found on a significant percentage of the older boxes that Linux gets installed on.
Regardless of Windows' many faults and flaws, M'squat insures by bribery, intimidation, or whatever, that common hardware DOES work "right out of the box". While I'm a newbie with Linux I do consider myself reasonably competent. If, after scanning this forum, and the FAQs, and Google, I still can't get my sound card to work (or my USB Zip drive, but that's another issue), then it's time to hang it up. I have a day job, a wife, and a few other things that take precedence over trying to force Linux to recognise a legacy sound chip.
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn