Re: Fedora Core 2 and audio

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 16:48, Steve Cooke wrote:

> I recently
> upgraded from RedHat 8 (Psyche?) to Fedora Core 2. Maybe I expected too
> much, but when I started up xmms there was no audio from the audio
> interface - I use headphones plugged into the headphone jack of the
> audio interface. Xmms worked out of the box on RedHat 8.
>
> I poked around a bit and found that I might need something called ALSA.
> I found source for 'alsaplayer-0.99.76' compiled and tried to run it.

No, don't do that!!! :-)

Everything you need is included in the FC2 install kit. ALSA is the new
sound mega-driver that's included by default in the new linux-2.6 kernel
series.

Try and run the audio mixer and see if there are some channels muted by
default. Or fire up an xterm and run alsamixer in it (it's a different
kind of mixer, the ALSA native mixer), unmute the muted channels, wiggle
the volume levels up and down and see if that solves the problem.

> I poked around some more and found an RPM that might do the trick called
> 'alsaplayer-0.99.76-2.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm' I downloaded that and tried
> installing it - only to find it had failed some dependency checks:

Good! :-)

> I then poked around some more and found something called
> 'alsa-oss-1.0.5' You guessed it - I downloaded and tried to install it
> to no avail. the ./configure gave up the ghost complaining that -

Good! :-)

> installed. I looked around and downloaded 'alsa-lib-1.0.3a-2.i386.rpm,'
> compiled for Fedora Core 2, which I proceeded to install. The install
> told me 'package alsa-lib-1.0.3a-2 is already installed.'

Good! :-)

I said "good" the first two times because you don't need that crap, and
in fact it might hurt if you install it.

Just install all ALSA-related packages from the FC2 install kit - that
should provide you with all the software you need. To do so, run:

yum install *alsa* system-config-soundcard

> To quote someone else on this list, 'WTF?' How hard is it to get sound
> working on a Linux machine? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Install the ALSA packages and the sound config utility. Then run the
sound config utility. Reboot.

If it still doesn't work, see the mixer tricks indicated above.

> (A very frustrated) Steve Cooke.

<shrug>

Tough it up, man, the sound infrastructure changed _a_lot_ since RH8,
some glitches with some systems are to be expected. You're just among
the unlucky few. But generally speaking, ALSA is a heck of a lot better
than OSS.

Once you figure out the problem, there are plenty of multimedia apps on
FreshRPMS:

http://freshrpms.net/packages/

Just add these three lines to /etc/yum.conf:

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

Then "yum install PackageName" will automagically install the
desired package for you. The packages on that site include:
- an XMMS version which can play MP3 files (the XMMS included
with FC2 cannot play MP3)
- Xine (a universal multimedia player)
- mozilla-totem (a multimedia plugin for Mozilla based on the
Xine engine)
- alsaplayer, if you really want it ;-)
- heaps and loads of other nice m/media things

If you want to prevent yum from using packages from FreshRPMS,
just comment out those 3 lines in yum.conf

Good luck,

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/