Re: Fedora Core 2 and audio

Florin Andrei wrote:

1. File a bug report with bugzilla.redhat.com (BTW, Steve Cooke should
do that as well, since it's not ok for the installer to not be able to
configure the card properly, yet the config utility to work fine later
on)

No, I won't do that. I have flagged the fact that I had a problem, and that it is now fixed. I now have no way to replicate the problem, short of doing a cleanskin install - which I, unfortunately, currently have no time for.

The second reason for not wishing to file a bug report is that I really don't know whether the problem was the result of my ignorance/ineptitude or a genuine problem. I fiddled with the alsamixer (as you suggested) and ran the soundcard config utility (as you also indicated may help) and either of those could have done the trick.

The third reason for me not filing a bug report is that I really do not believe it *that* important that sound works right out of the box. I don't know - is there a mini howto on this matter? Maybe that would be a better way to go, rather than hassling guys who are probably already flat out dealing with much more pressing issues than some ignoramus (me) complaining that the sound does not work. The fact that everything else worked first time is something that should be mentioned however - the guys involved with Fedora Core 2 distro have obviously gone out of their way to make it an almost no-brainer to install Linux.

Regards, and thanks again for the prompt help,
Steve Cooke.