Fedora - The Next Generation

Hi Folks,

I would like to hear your feelings on a couple of issues:

To start off I've been using FC1 on serveral servers since it's initial
release and have had little or no problems, only rebooting for kernel
upgrades, etc.  Before a flame war starts, I agree that for critical
production servers you should be running RHEL.  My problem is this:

Several customers are SOHO with less than 15 users and simply cannot justify
the cost of RHEL or they might as well be running MS SBS, (Some of them
actually believe the MS propaganda!)

I've been playing round with a couple of ideas:
Create a single CD Fedora installation with only core apps required for
business use, eg. postfix, squid, samba etc
Better inital setup, like a wizard after the install to add domain entries
to automatically configure postfix, samba and the likes, so after the
initial reboot you'll have a fully functional server.
Aditional testing of updates, maybe a separate yum mirror, so nightly
updates install only critical updates.

*important*
What I don't want is to reinvent the wheel, the Fedora community is doing
great work and we don't need to fork into yet another distro.  This should
be something between the latest and greatest, FC2, and a stable production
environment - RHEL.  (maybe if this all works, we can plough some of it back
into FC3?)

I'm not very fond of fixed release schedules, if it's broken, fix it and
release a new ISO, this will save us answering the same questions on the
list time after time.

By stripping down the initial install we can fokus on making Fedora better
and we can actually implement some of the suggestions on this list.  Being
based on Fedora it should be easy to add additional components as required,
something like a minimal install and add what you need.

Your thoughts...
Roland

Linux Wizards - www.linwiz.com
Security Wizards - www.secwiz.com