Re: Fedora - The Next Generation

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 15:18, Roland Venter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I would like to hear your feelings on a couple of issues:
>
> To start off I've been using FC1 on serveral servers since it's initial
> release and have had little or no problems, only rebooting for kernel
> upgrades, etc.  Before a flame war starts, I agree that for critical
> production servers you should be running RHEL.  My problem is this:
>
> Several customers are SOHO with less than 15 users and simply cannot justify
> the cost of RHEL or they might as well be running MS SBS, (Some of them
> actually believe the MS propaganda!)
>
> I've been playing round with a couple of ideas:
> Create a single CD Fedora installation with only core apps required for
> business use, eg. postfix, squid, samba etc
> Better inital setup, like a wizard after the install to add domain entries
> to automatically configure postfix, samba and the likes, so after the
> initial reboot you'll have a fully functional server.
> Aditional testing of updates, maybe a separate yum mirror, so nightly
> updates install only critical updates.
>
> *important*
> What I don't want is to reinvent the wheel, the Fedora community is doing
> great work and we don't need to fork into yet another distro.  This should
> be something between the latest and greatest, FC2, and a stable production
> environment - RHEL.  (maybe if this all works, we can plough some of it back
> into FC3?)
>
> I'm not very fond of fixed release schedules, if it's broken, fix it and
> release a new ISO, this will save us answering the same questions on the
> list time after time.
>
> By stripping down the initial install we can fokus on making Fedora better
> and we can actually implement some of the suggestions on this list.  Being
> based on Fedora it should be easy to add additional components as required,
> something like a minimal install and add what you need.
----
your fondness or lack thereof of edge / release scheduled distributions
is noted but not of interest to fedora. Production servers really should
be on 'stable' which is what you want. White Box is what you want...RHEL
for free. I would encourage them to use RHEL but if they want stable for
free...this is the ticket.

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

Craig