Re: RedHat Network Alert Icon

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
OK, At some point in my system's history, this icon in my system tray stopped working correctly. It remains broken. I think it used to work correctly for RH7.2. I'm pretty sure it broke either with my update to RH7.3 or RH9.... After upgrading to FC2, it is still broken.

Symptom: It remains green and showing the 2 arrows. It never changes. I no longer see the checkmark, question mark, or the exclamation point.

The RPM that is installed is:

rhn-applet-2.1.7-1.1.i386.rpm

Problem: Clicking on the icon is supposed to run the command: rhn-applet-gui. When I click on the icon, nothing (apparent) happens.

running the command rhn-applet-tui tells me (right now):

[root@kjc386 src]# rhn-applet-tui
Ignoring
No package updates are needed.

running the command rhn-applet-gui from a command line yields:

[root@kjc386 src]# rhn-applet-gui
/usr/share/rhn/rhn_applet/rhn_applet.py:362: DeprecationWarning: integer argument expected, got float
self.animate_timeout_tag = gtk.timeout_add(math.floor(1000 * ANIMATION_TOTAL_TIME/len(frames)), self.animate_handler)

and hangs there. It never finishes. I have to type control-C to get a prompt back.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Or what else you might need to provide a reasonable diagnosis? Or (even better) how to fix it??????

My FC2 is an upgrade from RH9..... I'm pretty sure that whatever broke it when I upgraded to RH9 is still broken, I just don't know what it could be.

I also have the Red Hat Network applet installed in my system try. It runs up2date. It works just fine....

This sounds like you have added the icon for the applet to the toolbar. There was discussion about the applet needing to be placed in the notification area. To get a notification area added to your panel, right click on the panel, choose utility, then add the notification area.

How to get the applet onto the notification area is a subject that I cannot help you with. I tried to drag and drop it to the notification area with no results. Adding it to the panel gave me the problem that you described.

The easiest way that I can think of is to blow away your .gnome and gnome2 directories and allow the default panel settings to be configured. (rename the directories preferred, instead of blowing them away)

Jim
--
Fine day to work off excess energy.  Steal something heavy.